January 13, 2010

Lives in Transit


I looked across the hotel to the restaurant and there was no movement. The shores were inhabited by only animals; stray dogs, massive birds, and pests loitered around the beach. A couple of rastaas who have yet to catch some sleep were hanging around one of the unoccupied vendor stands drinking from mystery bottles.
There was a hum in the air, it's hard to explain. The clouds haven't fully parted to make way for the sun yet. The same way the drapes haven't parted in many windows to allow the day to begin. But we were up.
We were up and ready to slip out of Caye Caulker's memory.

Today was a pure transit day. If i remember correctly, a 13 hour day in transit to Mexico.
Water taxi - taxi - public bus - private bus
I slept a lot of the way with only a few side conversations here and there with the group. It was winding down to an close soon with them.

We got into Mexico and from the ADO bus station, walked to our hotel conveniently called Playa Del Carmen hotel. The only thing on our minds was food. Tiago's group decided to take showers and settle down first...our group put our things down and wanted to head over to the Taco eatery that Sid was talking about earlier.
After satisfying our stomachs, we went to satisfy the rest of our senses and strolled down to the shops.

After the adventures that I've had on this trip...after meeting the locals and travellers that I have on this trip...after losing myself and after finding myself on this trip.........Playa Del Carmen was taking it's America-wannabe city and rubbing out my new found culture.
Burger King, DQ, Starbucks, H&M, American Apparel...those were just some of the names i came across on the stroll. Instead of going out and partying, I decided that i would relax at the hotel. I looked at my shoes that hung off the front of my backpack. A reminder of the near-death experience on Volcano Pacaya. In my bag, I pulled out receipts and scrap pieces of paper I've been collecting and writing on. In my bag, I looked through things that I have stashed...new, broken, garbage, old...it all served as a reminder of things that have happened this trip.
Just like that, it was time to clean up.

Pretty soon, this will all just slip out of my memory.




No comments:

Post a Comment