September 24, 2010

Earth Wind and Fiyaaaahhhh

Do you remembaaa...the twenty-first night of Septembaaa...

I woke up in Arequipa with a deflated butt. This is what happens after a 12 hour bus ride.
Throughout the night I would occasionally wake up because the bus driver would go over the gravel or hit several pot holes. I wake up thinking, I hope he hasn´t fallen asleep. We made it to Arequipa in one piece and I found Kleysey standing with my name on a piece of paper at the bus terminal. She greets me with a beso and we went to find my backpack and book my bus ticket to Puno for the 26th of Sept.

Klesey´s english is good. She had spent 4 months in Florida working on contract with a company but ever since her contract had ended, she is stuck in Arequipa finishing her University degree in tourism. She´s only 21yrs old.
We took a taxi to the hotel and it´s a cute little place. The walls are all original colonial style. The Madame who manages this hotel (like the building) is cute and charming. Around the hotel potted cactus and winding floral plants smother parts of of its walls as if to ask it to remember simpler times. The Madame offers me the dormitory at only 20 Soles. Even though this is shared rooming, it´s pretty much a private room because there is nobody else staying here but me.



After only a few minutes, I notice that the building next to us is blaring a familiar song, Ive heard this before. Earth Wind and Fire´s song September en Espagnol. This was cute...at first. Then I realize that who ever is playing this song, has it on repeat.
After sending out a couple of messages, I decided that I need a new tune and I took off with my camera to Plaza des Armas. The tune of Arequipa and it´s people.



I spent the rest of the day wandering around town taking pictures and buying souvenirs. Still haven´t taken a shower since Lima...yuck. I have no one to impress anyways so it´s ok.
This town is a lot like Antigua in Guatemala. A colonial town with various touristy places. For a solo traveller, this is comfortable. But I usually would be begging to leave to the next town if I was with someone else.



Tomorrow I take off for my 2days/1night trip to the Colca Canyon at 8-8:30am.
Kleysey explained the tour to me a little more and it seems a little less Earth Wind and Fiyaaaah and a little more luxury. I thought I was gonna rought it out in a camp site and do some hiking. This tour has me staying in a hotel and winding down at the natural hot springs. I´m not complainging by any means...I´m jussayin´. Who knows, I might like the tune of luxury.

No comments:

Post a Comment