January 14, 2010

Last minute gifts


Today is the official last day with the group; after today, many of us are going home, some of us are going to stay, and the rest will continue to travel. Either way, the past 30-some-odd days will be behind us and the chapter will be closed with these faces I've grown familiar with.

I spent the day with Ashley. My original roomate from the beginning. My twin away from my twin.

We shopped around trying to gather our last minutes gifts back for our Loved ones back home. Gifts for ourselves, of course, came into play as we looked for outfits to wear for our final dinner as well.

I realize that Playa del Carmen is not my style of vacationing and will probably leave tomorrow for Isla Mujeres. This place is just a dollar sign for travellers looking for "culture" in their 3rd world Starbucks and Burger King.

Ashley and I got back to the hotel and I got cleaned up as well as I could in an attempt to look like a lady again. After the treks, jungles, beaches, adventures...one tends to look a bit roughed up.
I put on my brand new short blue sweater/dress and met the rest of the groups downstairs who have already started with the tequila shots. Tiago's group had decided to go to a fancy restaurant (Fuzion) whereas our group has chosen to go to the same cheap (yet delicious) taco place from the night before.

With the tacos devoured, the alcoholic beverages drank, and the inappropriate comments said...we all headed to where Tiago's group were having dinner to join them for more drinks. I tried to enjoy the night but my mind was elsewhere.
These gifts I've got back at the hotel, they're thoughtful.
But they won't describe the things i've seen. They won't show the places i've been. They won't spill the flavours i've tasted.
These people that i'm surrounded by at this moment, they were my family away from my family. But they won't be there for me tomorrow. They won't be awaiting on updates if i get to my next destination safely.

At the beginning of this trip, i knew that i've bought myself a gift.
Nearing the end of this trip, I see that I bought a memory and an experience that I wouldn't trade for the world.

As we watched the performers at Fuzion restaurant, every now and then people would get up and start salsa dancing. I've never salsa'd before but Sid was persistent with the fact that he needed to teach me the basics. We danced for a bit but then after seeing some eyes look over, I felt self-conscious and told him to dance with someone else as I continued to drink at the side of the bar. There's no place like the side bar. As I hung around there and the others continued to socialize, an older gentleman started to talk to me. He's Israeli but has been living in Playa del Carmen for some time. As it turns out, he owns this restaurant. He continued to buy my drinks, and I continued to let him. He invited me to see his "jungle tree-house style" home but after some wise words from Sid, I decided against it and went home with the rest of the group.

We got back into the hotel and continued to drink left over booze and smoke some herbal. I hung around with Sid and we listened to music from my mp3 player. The sountrack to my trip. We listened as I associated memories to each track knowing that i'll never hear these songs the same again.


No comments:

Post a Comment