December 19, 2009

Soaking it up and breaking it down

I got up at 6am today...packed some more...still kind of ringing from the night before. Instead of hanging around the hotel room any longer, i opted to go to the plaza across the street and write in my book. It was my last chance to soak in La Fortuna and i didnt want to blink.


It was maybe 2 minutes into my wandering when a huge unexpected rain shower came crashing. It was worthy of monsoon weather. I took refuge in an undercover gazeebo in the plaza where the other locals had ran to as well. I stayed under there waiting for the rain to let up - i stayed under there for about 45 min to an hour. I didnt mind though, i got up early enough and was packed up ready to hit Monteverde anyhow. Im going to miss La Fortuna. I barely got to know this town and its people yet i feel attached.

As i sit undercover and watched the rain, the dark horse from yesterdays water hole came by as well. We missed each others glances just enough to half miss it. We knew each other. I didnt make any notion and just continued to write. Half an hour or so passes, more locals gather under the gazeebo as more leave to get on the bus/rides. He walked past me but this time made sure not to miss a look. I said ola and so did he as he continued to go under a covered area in front of me. Immediately after, another local came up to me and started a make-shift convo. Spanglish as best we could. His name is Juan. He started convo by trying to guess what nationality i am (as most of them do). His guess started with Chinita, then Japonaise. We talked for a bit as far as what i did in town, how long i stayed, when im going, and where im going to next. All in Spanglish and hand motions. 85% of communication is non-verbal. fact.


There was a lot of things that he was saying at the time that i didnt know what meant, i know what it means now though and it was fair for me to have been creeped out a bit at that moment. I said goodbye and headed for the hotel as we were leaving shortly.




The private van was loaded and a hungover group was ready for the next. I saw the vancouver guys from the night before and peaced out with them as well (not knowing that i would see them again in Monteverde).


The road to Monteverde was long and bumpy. This trek also includeda boat ride as well which was kind of nice.

This town is much colder that La Fortuna as its got a higher elevation. It was almost like living in a cloud sometimes because we were constantly in a mist. I didnt feel like doing anything in this town, so while the other went on a tour i decided to find whatever patch of sun i could and write some more. I looked at the options of tours available and even though i was kind of set on a cloud walk or some kind of nature hike, i signed up for the butterfly/hummingbird/reptile tour. This was so i could be guaranteed to get some good photos, I didnt want to risk not seeing anything on a regular old hike or walk.


Once everyone got back from the tour, i was just starting to nap. I told them all that i wouldnt be joining them for dinner. The tour leader is a gringo and i can tell he misses home. I know this because every restaurant he recommends we all go to serves gringo food or some kind of fusion. Im trying to be a team player...but i didnt venture out to costa rica to eat pizza if you know what i mean.

As everyone left, i too went off to venture on my own. You make yourself so much more vulnerable when youre on your own not knowing where to go or what to do.

I got to a camida tipica place (soda type place) and got distracted right away. From a distance, i heard RHCPs Danny California being played...live. I put the menu down, picked up my bag and followed my ears. I went up a hill and found a longe/club where a band was playing. Nobody else was there and the band was just doing sound checks preparing for the night. I was in there with some of their friends and workers just watching. Instrumentally, they were pretty top notch...vocally, not so much. After a couple of songs, i headed back to the soda to have dinner.


The decision to go at it alone for the night was nice. I was kind of tired of walking around with a bunch of gringos. Not to be mean, but it made us a walking target almost. We would stick out of a crowd. And when youre so well protected in a group such as that, it makes you less approachable. You dont meet locals, and i cant practice my basic spanish. hahaha.
I purposely made myself vulnerable and as tired and apprehensive as i was at first, i knew i made the right decision.
To start building something up, you have to start at the base...at the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment