December 18, 2009

somewhere...beyond the sea (in a place called La Fortuna)



This day was a nice long and active day!
The activities started at 10am where we got picked up from the hotel and shuttled off for an adventure going rappelling. I was excited and a bit anxious at the same time. It didn´t help that the guide was extremely good looking. Extremely.
En route, we were stopped because there´s a bike tour happening in La Fortuna (like a toure de Costa Rica type deal) and it was really neat. Got a lot of photos from that.
Rappelling was a lot of fun. Went down 4 waterfalls with the last one being the biggest. It was pretty much a steady glide down. In between waterfalls we would hike through river drops and the forest as well. Well worth it!
After the 2 hour trek, we headed to what was similar to a tree house for camido tipico...typical food...casada.
We got back to the hotel just to drop off some things and off i went again to another personal trek. We rented bikes from a nearby place to tour the town a bit...and to head to the nearby water hole. Under a bridge was a little pathway which led to 2 little waterfalls, a rope swing, and a big river pool. Exciting! There were a few tourists there but there were also a good handful of locals as well. Tourists would do their best, jump and swim around the pool. Locals sat back and every now and then, they would do a jump to show the rest of us how it´s really done. La Fortuna style. They were like fish so comfortable diving around whirlpools and behind the waterfalls.

We dropped our bikes and everyone headed straight for the Tarzan rope swing. I watched one, two, three, four go ahead of me. Once it was my turn, a local boy handed the rope to me. Everyone was looking...the locals, mi amigas y amigos in the pool...eyes were on me. I´ve never done this before and in the opportunities in the past i´ve had to do this, i obv chose not to for good reasons. I don´t want to die!
I was up there on that cliff edge for some time, i´m not going to lie. Words of encouragement were thrown at me from everyone, locals included. I must have had the rope in my hands three separate times...and let go of it...three separate times. In the end, i opted for a baby cliff. No rope swing included. I just couldn´t do it!!
ve managed to challenge myself in the past few days and conquered class 3/4 rafting, rappelling down waterfalls, being a place i don´t know anyone or speak the language...yet this rope swing and water pool totally owned me. Perhaps another time :(

We hung about the pool for a bit then headed for a ride around town some more. Stopped for a drink at a soda then back to the hotel we went to get ready for dinner. While we were getting drinks, i had asked the server where to go to party that night. He advised a place called Volcano Look. A shuttle goes around to collect people in the town and takes them to the club which is about 4km away. I knew i had to do this!
We went to Lava Lounge for dinner. If it were up to me, i would have went somewhere for camida tipica...but i decided to be part of a group and went. After the dinner, a few of us relocated to the bar at the restaurant. My bartender was Nicaraguan...a Nica. He works in La fortuna because the money here is better. We asked him if he misses his family and he says of course, he´s got 3 niƱos, two of them both 5 years old. Merekay says, oh cute you have twins! He says...no, two baby mamas! hahahaha And he´s not married to either one of them. Hilarious. He was very suave but we managed to walk away. Off we went to the hotel to get ready for the shuttle service. On the way there, there were a couple of tourists hanging out on the street drinking. After talking to them for some time, i find out that all three of them are my neighbors...these three boys are from Kits! About 6 blocks at most away from my apartment back home. It was nuts. I chilled drinking on the street with them while the others went to get ready. Met some other cats from LA too...one which had almost got me killed earlier while i was on the bike. We had a good laugh about that one. I ran back to the hotel, changed into a dress, and off to the club we went. The neighbors and their friends all came along too.
We got in and the music was bumping (obv). I was pretty sauced...no, i was salsa´d. We all were...but not to worry, we were safe. I danced the entiiiiire night.
We got home pretty early as my group wanted to leave already. It was only half past one...but i didn´t want to be left behind so i went. Once we were back at the hotel, the idea of jumping in the pool got brought up...the idea of jumping in the pool was executed. Swimming around, the security was telling us it´s ceraddo. But i managed to talk to him (en espagnol) to let us just swim for an hour.
The night inevitably came to an end...the next day would start early and off to Monteverde we would go.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about the tarzan thing; you are super brave for doing all the other stuff. Jay and I chickened out from sky diving in Hawaii for safety and health insurance concerns. Anyways, keep enjoying your trip. Love to read your updates. Feliz Navidad amiga!

    ReplyDelete