September 26, 2010

domestic disputes

I am woken up at midnight by barking dogs and loud drunken men on the streets. Two and a half hours later, the doorbell abuse and loud banging on the door begins. This goes on until 3:30am and I was terrified the entire time. I thought the hotel was getting robbed. I quickly got up to hide my valuables. I prayed. I begged and pleaded with god to please ask it all to go away. At 3:30am it didn't stop...it came inside. i went to my door to try and listen to what was happening. I hear a man's voice and my heart starts to race. i follow it with a quick self pep-talk and told myself that I can do physical damage to whoever tries to get at me. I continue to listen carefully and realize that nobody is in fact trying to rob the hotel. This man sounds like he is pleading with a girl. I could tell they were on my floor as they had their hush conversation. He asks her to please listen to him. The argument toned down and i went back to bed...only to wake up again half an hour later to get packed up and ready for the day. Today is going to be a long one.

I asked the front desk what had happened this morning with all of the happening this morning. From what I can understand, a girl from the hotel had gone out to the bar or club and she had attracted a guy from the night.

I sat at the front of the hotel to wait for Jever (the tour leader). A bit after, the young Peruvian couple came and I chatted with them and we talked a bit more about their long distance relationship. We talk about how difficult it is to be in one. The technology helps it work, I tell them...but it's not the same we all agreed.

We went to see tourist attractions. I start to feel tired but just then I get a picture text message from Glen. I'm homesick all of a sudden.




For lunch we went to yet another buffet. This time I learned to be a bit more selective and not to have too much too fast. After lunch, Nancy pays for my lunch (as it's my birthday the next day). I refused to let her but she insisted as she didn't have change for 100 soles. We strolled around town on our free time through the plaza and market place. Soon we were back on the tour van back to Arequipa.

Once I was back in Madame Barbara's hotel in Arequipa, I jumped on the internet to get some messages out to Glen, Aissa, and Sonny. Quarter past 6 and the bell rang for me. Juan Victor is here to take me to the bus station. Kleysey is right, he is very nice and he's got kind eyes. We make small talk during the taxi ride. Once we got to the bus terminal, it is crowded and I'm the only foreigner in there. Everyone has simple baggage and large plastic bags. Juan Victor asks the security guard what the process is. He explains that I check in once the bus arrives and they will tag my bag etc. I say ok but he smells the insecurity in my response and insists that he will stay with me until I board. There's half an hour left until the bus comes but he assures me it's ok before I even had a chance to say anything.
i went to get us water for the wait and we chatted a bit. I explain to him that it's my birthday the next day and it would be the first time I am away from my sister. He gives me a hug and wishes me a very happy birthday. He understood English but because he wasn't good at speaking it, he would respond to me in Spanish. We learned from each other. My bus arrives and I board. I sit next to an unfriendly looking man and the on-board movie begins to play. I am back on the winding roads I was on earlier from Colca Canyon...except this time, it's night and a bit of a dodgy upset looking crowd.

This year, I ring in my birthday on a bus from Arequipa to Puno drinking water. Last year I was in a taxi or some car still drunk and getting more drunk. My the times have changed.

I must have been somewhere in between Jualica and Puno and I started to feel different. At the strike of midnight I received a picture text message from Glen :)
Similar to the Bruno Mars video (just the way you are) as he says this song reminds him of me. I'm not going to lie...I cried a bit when I got it. He's convinced that I'm the one for him and everyday I'm more convinced that he might be the one for me too. I'm so lucky and blessed to have him.



Below is the seat I sat in and celebrated the first wee hours of my birthday. Silently.

No comments:

Post a Comment