January 4, 2010

Que raro!!

I got a bike for free today. In a town where I was being quoted $5USD/hr for bike rentals, i managed to get one at no cost! This is how it happened...

After yesterday's little 'moment', i decided that from here on out i would be making the most out of this trip. It is my vacation and the choice to be positive is mine to make. I walked to get breakfast with Ashley and asked nearly every place and person i passed if they had a bike for rent. For the ones that did in fact have bikes available, they were asking for too much money. I decided i would give up the search and thought that i was destined to walk throughout the town for the day. As I was paying my bill at the restaurant we had breakfast in, i gave it one more shot. I asked our waiter if he had a bike for rent. He was young and looks like he probably has a personal bike...everyone around here seems to ride. He tells me that the restaurant doesn't rent out bikes. I asked him if he personally had a bike that I could pay him to use as he works. He tells me to wait as he disappears to the back. He came back rolling in with his bike from where it was sitting behind the restaurant. How much is it per hour, i asked him. Nada, he replied. I told him he has to charge something, but he didn't want anything for it. What time do you want me to come back, i asked. He didn't mind...come back whenever you're done.

I rode that bike into the neighboring town and found myself in front of a church at the plaza. I sat there and thought as i people watched. These people are not a gimmick, the clothes they wear are not some kind of costume or attraction to make sales. These people are real. The sincerity I was afraid that was missing, was only momentarily hidden. It's been there the entire time. I soaked in the sun as i watched mothers walk to and from with babies simply strapped on their backs with colorful blankets and groceries in their hands. Bikes and tuk tuks roll by. Heads turn wondering what a tourist like me is doing just "wasting time" in the plaza watching time go by. I've settled into this place, i've come to peace with him. We understand each other now.


After some more riding around the town, i decided to head back to the restaurant late afternoon to return the bike. He refused to take the little Quetzales I had left (I had something in the equivalence of 1.50usd) but i insisted he take it. I thanked him and walked away with a completely empty pocket happy with the outcomes of the day.
Any of the in-case cash I had no longer existed. Others from the group had offered to loan me some money but I've refused it for the most part. I figured that if i run out of money, i need to face consequences and pay for my negligent decisions. This was my attempt in taking responsibility and standing on my own two feet. Now that I'm at a complete zero...it will be interesting how I will continue forward.

As I was walking towards the hotel, a group of boys who had been cat-calling at me at every passing attempts to stop me. Hey sweetie, they called out. One's name is Daniel and he walks with me as I didn't stop at their calls. He tells me that he's trying to sell some bracelets and that so he can make money for books he needs for school. A friend of his pops out from around a corner and asks me flat out, "do you want some ganja?" I stopped in my tracks. I wanted some but had no money to buy any. I explained this to them and we came to the agreement that we would go smoke a joint at the lake together and I wouldn't pay anything. We walked towards the lake and passed by more of their friends. One calls for me and says that he had seen me earlier taking photos at the plaza. I guess he saw me in the other town while I was in front of the church. Daniel, his friend, and I continued on towards the lake but then realize that neither of us had a lighter. It was a sign. My travel day would be a regular travel day. We didn't get smoked out. Maybe in Antigua I'll find some.

I got to the hotel and met the others so we could make our way back to Antigua via private van.

We got into town and another happy-hour was called for. I didn't join the group this time around. I had a room to myself in this hotel and wanted some alone time. I put on some HTV (hispanic music channel) and relaxed. I went down to meet the others in time to go for dinner. I drank some rum and caught up to their level of inebriation pretty fast. Supposedly, the hot spot for this Tuesday night was a little night club called 'La Sala'. Deborah and I headed over there buzzing. Along the way, we befriended a guy named Julio. He's a 21 year old student in school for Hotel tourism. He joined us for pre-party dinner and more drinks. He offered to pay for everything. The offer was touching enough so I decided that I would pay for everything using my credit card. We got to La Sala but it was closed. Tuesday seems to be somewhat of a ghost town as far as night life goes. Fair enough. Julio walked Deborah and I back to the hotel stopping by whatever bar was open in hopes of a party. Malas suerte. Once we got inside the hotel he gave me his phone number and told me to call him the next evening and he would take me out for a motorcycle ride. Maybe? I'm not going to lie...I probably will not call him.
I got into my room and felt restless. My buzz still whirring, I decided I would walk back out on my own and find someplace to party. Deborah was tired so this was a solo mission for me. On my stroll, I was stopped by a guy named Edy. He creeped me out a bit as he immediately swooped in for a kiss as his greeting (that i successfully dodged). He tells me it's not safe to walk around town by myself, being a girl and all. He offered to walk me back to my hotel so I agreed. I kept my guard up knowing that he probably had some wrong intentions. We got to my hotel and he gave me his phone number. Call me in the morning and I'll get you a bike to ride town tomorrow, he tells me. Maybe? I'm not going to lie...I probably will not be calling him either.

I got back into my room still wanting to party. Skeptical of what kind of person I would meet on a 3rd attempt to find a party, I decided to stay in my room.

Maybe tomorrow? Maybe not? Maybe, nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment