September 25, 2010

up and down - out and around


I woke up at midnight cold to the sound of roosters. I didn't get to know this town too well but it seems as though it wants me to understand it a bit more so it keeps trying to wake me up. I listened a little bit longer then decided to get up and ready to begin the day.

I packed my bag and sent out a few messages. Madame Barbara walked in through the front door with a bag full of groceries. "it's for breakfast, I will prepare it now", she says. I offered my help and she says no with a kind smile. I took the opportunity to go around the hotel with my camera to capture the personality of this place.

The bell at the hotel rang maybe maybe 10 minute past 8:30am - my tour van has arrived. The road we continued on, as we learn, is the road that continues all the way to Puno, Jualica, Bolivia, and continues all the way to Brazil. The ladies sitting beside me offer a coca carmelo and i politely take one knowing that it is going to taste SO much better than the straight coca leaves i had just bought.







We get to the highest point we would reach for that day, called Volcano view point stop. I befriended Nancy. She is a Peruvian travelling around in her country. She is solo as well. We made a deal that we would take photos of each other as everyone else in the group was partnered up.
For lunch we stopped to have a buffet for 20 Soles. I ate lots. Fast.
After lunch we all got dropped off at our hotels. We were staying at different hotels depending on where our travel agents had booked us in. Only one of the couples are staying in the same hotel as me. I dropped off my bag in my room and then headed out to take photos around town. My adventures around these towns are usually accompanied with a bit of shopping. I purchased another colorful Peru hat to give away as a gift. Time flew by as I was busy buying but i made sure to get back to the hotel in time to pack for the hot springs pool.

At the pool, Nancy didn't want to go in the pool so i chilled solo at first. I befriended a young German girl at first. She has been backpacking since February. All of her flights were pre-booked but everything in between was open.

Alexandra is one of the elderly Russian New Yorkers who is part of my tour. Her friend stayed at the hotel sick so she was hanging out by herself. I went over to keep her company as she was solo too. Through conversation she tells me what she considers a good hotel and that she requires a TV and a fridge. She seemed a bit high maintenance. I ask her why she is travelling with her friend and why Peru. She explains that she is not getting any younger and there are still lots to see and do. I admire her courage.

For dinner the tour went to a place with folkloric dancing. The german couple and the two elderly Russian New Yorker friends decided to stay home as they all started to not feel well. The other three couples in the tour were a bit alarmed as they were scared there might be something the others know about this place that we don't. We all decided to risk it and go anyways.

I waited downstairs at the lobby for the tour leader to get us. As I was waiting, I was joined by the young male Peruvian who is part of the tour. His girlfriend was still getting ready. I chat with him and talk about their relationship. Their long distance relationship. It was during dinner when I realized that I was the 7th wheel on this Peruvian date.

I learned about each couple and got to understanding them. i suddenly notice how much more I miss Glen. All of a sudden I get a text message from my mom and she had sorted out my phone issue with rogers; my cell phone can now send text messages. Soon after i get a text message from glen and he's at a boxing match. I update him with what i've been up to and almost immediately I'm happy. Love is in the air...regardless of where we are in the world.


1 comment: