January 2, 2010

Panajachel is for Lovers

We got into the town of Panajachel (Guatemala) and I've managed to empty my wallet once again. I sit here with 40 Quetzales in my pocket...at most. This is equivelant to $5USD...at most. FML


I'm pretty much credit card from here on out until Belize now. This limited budget should help in my attempts to getting back to a regular diet. Yes, I'm on vacation but there is such a thing as over-indulging. I have achieved this. It's been difficult not to as I've been wanting to try everything brand new. Now I've got consequences to face; it's time to say goodbye to street food.


After giving much of my money away to the shop owners, I met up with the rest of the group on the hotel rooftop terrace for happy hour. The sun decided to set as bottles were tipped up and emptied of it's contents (rum). I decided not to have a drink. I'm not quite sure what it is but I just don't feel like drinking these days. It doesn't matter if it's free - I've been refusing them. This may sound awful, but I drink to get drunk. If I don't plan on getting drunk and dancing around, there's no point in tipping over glasses. Maybe it's my subconscious liver telling my mind that it wants a vacation too. Come to think of it...back home in Vancouver, I'm not too sure when the last time was that I've gone a week without drinking or some sort of partying. Midweek adventures were my favorite. Minimal crowd, drink specials, good music, good people...no wonder why it's hard to resist. Perhaps, it's time my liver goes on a vacation too. She wins this one.


A thing I've noticed about Panajachel is it's a town of Lovers. I don't know what it is. I don't necessarily see a whole lot of PDA around from locals or tourists, but there's definitely something in the air. This town is set along the lake which helps in setting this feeling, for sure. Also, the two towering volcanoes across this lake plays a part in this emotion. Cobblestone streets and people shooting each other glances from one side of the sidewalk to the other...Love was amidst us and there was no denying it. (image to the left is my donation to the bar table at Pana Rock).



I sit here on the hotel rooftop with the others as I stare at the bedsheets that are hung to dry next to us. It flutters in the amber rays of the sun making sure I knew that romance lurks in the most unexpected places.


No comments:

Post a Comment