December 30, 2009

Juayua bought a dress para mi?

We got into the town of Juayua (pronounced hu-why-you-a) today. I took the opportunity to relax and updated the blog on the hotel's computer while everyone else wandered town in the heat. This hotel is probably one of the cutest ones we have been in so far. Everyone ran around the place checking each other's room out. Oohs-and-aahs were all you heard within minutes of putting our bags down.


I decided to do some solo wandering afterwards so i headed towards the plaza. While aimlessly loitering, I realized that New Years Eve was coming up and I had no dress to wear. I personally don't consider myself a girly-girl...but i do enjoy getting dressed up for occasions. For the A-gamers back home in Vancouver, the only question we ever really asked before a party was, "is it a dress night?". NYE definitely calls for a dress, regardless of the fact that I'm not back at home with the other A-gamers. With no particular style, color, or cut in mind, i walked through the market lightly. That's when a yellow dress caught my eye. The top part was black, and the bottom was yellow. It wasn't anything fancy, but it fit right, it was $8usd, and i decided it would be the dress to ring in 2010.


I walked back to the hotel with my new dress in hand. I showed the other girls and did a fashion show. They gave me the thumbs up - they liked it too.


We headed to the nearby waterhole in El Churro via tuk-tuk with the rest of the group. I went but decided to just chill and take photos as opposed to getting in the cold water. There were only local children swimming around when we got there and military men armed with guns protecting the area. Were the guns really necessary? Probably not. But did it add drama to our photographs? You better believe it.



After the waterhole, we went back into town to learn how to make pupusas. A cute little old lady opened her doors to us and set up a little station where she would teach us how to make this El Salvadoran dish. We all decided that this would be our last affair with pupusas...what better place to be pupusa'd out, than El Salvador?


Deborah, Mereki, and I walked around town afterwards in search of snacks. We were planning nachos and guacamole night.

Once we got back to the hotel, we made guacamole (knowing that it was probably cheaper to just go to a restaurant and eat there) and stuffed our faces. It turned to be somewhat of a girls night as I ended up coloring Mereki's hair. We had cheese and crackers, guacamole and chips, and rum/soda's as the smell of chemical dye filled the air. We stayed up and chatted amongst the group knowing that tomorrow would be a big celebration, and a big farewell.

I've been looking forward to this farewell as I was needing a change of pace. For some reason, I was feeling apprehensive yet excited about it all. Goodbye's are sad, yes...but with every goodbye is a hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment